Sunday 18 September 2016

Hilo Hattie, Lahaina

We're still in Lahaina and we LOVE IT!

I had a few things I wanted to try whilst we were in Hawaii and Dole Whip was one of them.  Dole Whip doesn't seem to exist in the UK.  Why not?  Lack of pineapple plantations?  Sounds like an excuse to me.  Get it sorted!


Hilo Hattie, a touristy shop in Lahaina, sell Dole Whip and that's where we found ourselves so, never folk to let food opportunities pass by, we ordered a small for me and, I think it was a large, for Alan.  I managed to tear Alan away from the Hawaiian shirts that he insisted he would wear 'all the time' when we got home.  This is the lad who won't even wear any mildly patterned clothes for fear of drawing attention to himself and looking 'different'.  *eye roll*

I'm not really sure what's in Dole Whip; I guess at least some pineapple and a ton of sugar but apart from that your guess is as good as mine.  It had a fresh, pineapple sherbet taste to it and was much more refreshing than ice cream.  It wasn't icy like sorbet but not creamy like ice-cream.  It really was like someone had whizzed up a load of pineapples.

I've scoured the internet for a recipe and have found one from Fat Mum Slim.  I can't wait for the one or two days of Scottish sun that we are due this year so that I can try it out!  Don't let me down, Scottish weather!






No comments:

Post a Comment